HISTORY OF ARUSHA CITY
The town was founded by German colonialists when the territory was part of German East Africa in 1900 was declared a township in 1948 and became a Municipality in 1980. It was placed on fast track onto becoming a city on the 1st of July 2005 but the highest urban status was placed on hold pending some adjustment to the town’s topography. Arusha officially became a city on 31 October 2012.
A garrison town, it was named after the local tribe Wa-Arusha, who are known as Larusa by the Maasai. Arusha has been a crucial in the history of the modern Tanzania. Princess Margaret visited Arusha in 1956. Official documents ceding independence to Tanganyika were signed by the United Kingdom at Arusha in 1961. Also, the Arusha Declaration was signed in 1967 in Arusha.